Sunday, September 13, 2009

He Who Owns the Press Writes the News. Who Owns New York Times?

MAinfo: New York Times Censors Protester Numbers

I love Opus's demonstration of just how large the discrepancy is between media agencies reporting on the turnout at the nation's capitol on September 12, 2009.

New York Times said "thousands." Here's their photo:

Britain's Daily Mail said "two million." Here's their photo:

It would appear that our British friends have again out-reported and out-truthed America's mainstream media. Are we surprised?

Hat tip to Opus #6. Check her out - she's always posting amazing, on-point videos, pics and commentary!


Be sure to check out TheGonzoMama.com for more of Gonzo's musings!

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Thanks for the hat tip and plug. Much appreciated. Your blog is growing fast. Your experience is showing. :-D

Jackie said...

Just playing the devil's advocate for a moment. While thousands isn't technically accurate, is 2 million more accurate? I know I can't really eyeball it just from that picture. For all I know, that's a few hundred thousand, which is still a ways off from 2 million. Looks to me about the same as the capacity of a sports arena, except all crammed into one space instead of spread around a doughnut shape. Just sayin'. ;) Although I am myself a skeptic in general of media due to the almost mafia-like connections between media outlets and big businesses.

The Gonzo Mama said...

I'm not sure how many there actually were; just thought the reporting discrepancy was a hoot.

I did see one blogger who posted the security layout for the inauguration, which estimated the capacity for ONE of the sections the 9/12 crowd filled as over a million. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than one but under two million.

That's still an impressive crowd.