Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Just Because You’re Paranoid Doesn’t Mean They Aren’t Watching

A few nights ago, I was discussing my position on the president’s speech with my new friend, Opus #6, via direct messages on Twitter (she's opus_6; I'm TheGonzoMama - follow us!). I was sending her my responses through my Palm while I logged in to my Facebook account to capture a message someone had sent me on the subject, and my response, to send her.

I copied the text and realized I didn’t have her email address. You have comment moderation on, right? I tweeted. I’ll send it as a blog comment. Don’t publish.

Several minutes later, I received the following tweet from her: Can you believe it is still not there on my dashboard yet? What is up with Blogger?

I used my Palm’s keypad to type, He (BHO) knows I’m talking about him – Cybersecurity emergency. Next I won’t be able to txt u from my Palm… I hit “Send.”

Network Fail. I sent it again. Network Fail.

At this point, I really, truly began having visions of an Orwellian nature, and the scene from Minority Report where Tom Cruise walked past the virtual billboard and it started flashing personalized ads at him, based on his identity, which was read biologically.

“Is this what it’s coming to?” I thought. “Are the government and advertisers tracking my every electronic move? Will every word I speak against the president be intercepted? Will I start getting super-targeted ads, based on my identity?”

Doubting my own sanity, I shook the thoughts out of my head and logged back in to Facebook, intending to resend the information I’d attempted to send Opus. THIS is the first ad that appeared in the right-hand column:



*Cue hysterical laughter*

I don't know who Dave Kerpen is, but I do know who Jack Bootthug is... Maybe I could get an interview with him?



Be sure to check out TheGonzoMama.com for more of Gonzo's musings!

4 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Gonzo, I believe there is a security agency that intercepts all of our communications already. But I understand they are not allowed to share stuff with other agencies unless it falls under certain categories. One being telling the Secret Service of threats against the president, etc.

I just sort of assume everybody is listening. But hey, hopefully they're learning something about patriotism and conservatism in the process, right? ;-)

The Gonzo Mama said...

Opus - Maybe we should start sending personalized love notes in our exchanges! It would give me a reason to study cryptology or something fun like that.

NPG said...

HMMM! I've been having some issue too! I think I'm being monitored block and edited. I wouldn't mind so much if only they would correct my spelling! Love your blog. Loyal follower!

The Gonzo Mama said...

LOL, NPG!