Sunday, October 11, 2009

I'm Real Happy for You, Barry, and I'm-a Let You Finish, BUT...

Where is Kanye West when you need him?

Certainly, Mr. West could have rushed the stage during President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech with a little of his tried and true, "I'm real happy for you... and I'm-a let you finish, but..." there were other, more deserving candidates for the award. (H/T to The Conservative Lady)

But, really, what are we to expect from the committee who, in 2007, passed over Irena Sendler, who saved 2500 Jewish children from the Holocaust, to award the Nobel Peace Prize to Al Gore for his little "research project" on climate change?

Perhaps I'm being too hard on the Norwegian Nobel Committee. Perhaps they knew what they were doing, back in 2007.

After all, haven't we just learned from the mainstream media that global warming contributes to terrorism?

Ahem. I stand corrected.

Seriously, though? What message is Oslo sending by awarding the Peace Prize to a president who "is prepared to accept some role for the Taliban in Afghanistan's political future," has thrown our longtime allies under the bus, and who maintains that "America does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements?"

Are these the new standards for peace?

Let's not forget that this committee is the same one who declined to award Mahatma Gandhi the Peace Prize five times: in 1937 (awarded instead to Robert Cecil), 1938 (awarded to Nansen International Office for Refuges, an organization of the League of Nations), 1939 (the Peace Prize was not awarded at all), 1947 (jointly awarded to the UK's Friends Service Council and the US's American Friends Service Committee) and finally, in 1948, the year of his murder, the committee did not award the Prize, as there was "no suitable living candidate."

But, you know, whatever... I'm sure the president will enjoy his new toy, especially since his buddies have one: Yasser Arafat (1994), Jimmy Carter (2002), and Al Gore (2007).

Let's not forget that nominations had to be in by February 1st, mere days after Mr. Obama took office. Presumably, his nomination was based upon the great things he was certain to do before the announcement of the award.

I've had my newspaper column running since December 2008. Call me a pessimist, but I'd certainly question the judgement of anyone who put my name forward for a Pulitzer based upon my column proposal.




Be sure to check out TheGonzoMama.com for more of Gonzo's musings!


Photo credit:

4 comments:

The Conservative Lady said...

Thank you for the h/t.

The consensus is in...the Nobel Peace Prize is a farce.

The Gonzo Mama said...

I suppose the pompous Norwegian bureaucrats are free to award their prizes to whomever they choose.

Still, I think Nobel's gotta be rolling over in his grave.

TRESTIN MEACHAM said...

I think he should get the Heismen Trophy for the goodwill he brings to college football. Perhaps a Grammy for his shower singing exploits? He deserves those things as much as the Nobel Peace Prize.

The Gonzo Mama said...

@Trestin - Sure. Why not? Have you seen the photos of him with his dog and a football under his arm on the WH blog?

I think he should get a Superbowl ring, too, certainly...